Crispy Rice Paper Rolls With Sticky Vegetarian Rice
🧧 KUNG HEI FAT CHOI!! 🧧May your Year of The Tiger be filled with the best health, boundless love, lots of laughter, wonderful success, prosperity and of course DELICIOUSNESS!!
CRISPY RICE PAPER ROLLS WITH STICKY VEGETARIAN RICE - All sorts of wonderful ingredients inside these crispy golden rolls… gooey and delicious sticky rice with garlic, onions, shiitake mushrooms, carrots, baby corn, green beans, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots and cabbage. All flavoured with your quintessential Chinese flavourings, soya, rice wine, sesame oil, oyster sauce and five spice… this is one recipe you need in your repertoire… it is nothing but EPIC!!
They turned out just AH-MAZZZZZING… when I posted the vid to my stories, everyone practically begged me for the recipe... beg no more. The rolls are perfect as an appetiser for a party, just make them early in the day then cook right before serving.
- In a small pan with boiling water, add the mushrooms and simmer on low for 20 mins, drain, then chop small, set aside
- Cook the sticky rice, set aside
- Heat oil in a large wok on medium heat and cook the onions until translucent, add the garlic and carrot, continue to cook
- Add the baby corn, green beans and stir fry for a further few minutes
- Add the water chestnuts, bamboo shoots and cabbage along with the cooked sticky rice, mix thoroughly
- Then add in the spring onions, soya sauce, Shaoxing wine, five spice, sesame oil, salt (I used 1 tsp), white pepper, dark soya and oyster sauce
- Mix again thoroughly, taste and adjust seasonings according to taste, allow the rice mixture to cool
- Once ready to wrap, get a deep plate filled with warm water, place a rice paper wrapper into the warm water making sure it is completely submerged, remove, it will still be quite firm, but it will soften quickly
- Place the wrapper onto a flat board in front of you so that it is in a diamond shape
- Put a good couple of tablespoons of the filling in the bottom 1/3 portion of the wrapper
- Rollover once, tuck in the sides and then continue rolling and stick the top, the rice paper wrapper will stick itself and doesn’t require anything additional to seal
- Place the roll on a plate with a clean, dry kitchen towel and continue rolling all rolls until the filling is all used up
- Once wrapped, transfer the spring rolls to the refrigerator and chill for at least 1 hour, so they can dry out, remove from the refrigerator 15 minutes before frying
- Shallow fry the rolls in small batches making sure they do not touch, cook each batch 5-6 minutes until perfectly golden and crispy
- Drain on a rack or kitchen paper and serve hot with lots of chilli oil and toasted sesame seeds and spring onions for garnish