- Heat a splash of extra-virgin olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot and celery and season generously with sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and rosemary and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute, then add the tinned tomatoes and season generously with sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper.
- Bring the base to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 7 to 10 minutes. The goal here is to take the raw edge off the tinned tomatoes.
- Add the water and season very generously with salt – you want the broth to taste as seasoned as you want the finished dish to taste. Turn the heat up to medium-high, stir to combine and bring to a boil.
- Stir in the orzo and beans. Cook uncovered for 10 minutes, then stir in the kale and cook for a further 3 to 4 minutes, or until the orzo is cooked through.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the parsley. Taste and adjust seasoning, to your liking. Remove the parmesan rind and serve, topped with some freshly-grated parmigiano reggiano.